My YouTube Channel

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Catching Up

   All right. I know what you're thinking. Time has gotten away from me and I dropped off the face of the Earth for a little while. But, I'm finally back to tell you what's been going on during all those miles in between.

   First and foremost, nothing's wrong. I'm healthy, the family's good and the world that I run on continues to spin as it should. Overtime at work has opened up after a long dry spell and I'm trying to get as much as I can stand. Unfortunately, due to my little man's schedule that means working on many of my days off. Doesn't leave much time for anything else. Don't worry everything else in my busy life has been ignored just as much as my poor blog!

   So, what's new? How's everybody doing out there? Easter was wonderful. I had to work that day. But, we managed to pull off yet another successful holiday having everyone over to our house. Mainly because of my amazing wife! The woman can host a party and is an incredible cook! I ate too much and drank a little too much too. But, it was a great time.

   Springtime has finally made its way to upstate NY! The heavy snow of the winter that seemed to last forever has melted and been replaced with endless rain. The temperature has been about ten degrees cooler than usual for this time of year. But, the sun has been shinning often enough to lift everyone's spirits and make treadmill woodchucks like me poke our heads out from our holes and take a few tentative steps out there on the roads.

   Running my new treadmill most of the winter kept me in some really good shape during my off season. But, there's no substitute for running on real roads. Over the last few weeks I've been putting in some serious training time outside. I've got to get my legs used to hills, trails and pavement again. The cross-training at the gym has been a must and I've made some good movement forward there too.

   Somewhere along the way I managed to tweak the hell out of my right shoulder and it just isn't going away. My elbows have been really sore from a lot of pull up work. So, I've decided to cut the free-standing pull ups back a bit and use the weight assisted pull up machine a little more. I've also been using a tennis ball to attack my nagging left hamstring. It's painful. But, it's slowly working. It sometimes seems more like damage control versus training. But, I carry on.

   Even if you're not a runner I hope that you had a chance to witness history in the making on Patriots Day in Boston. For my all time favorite running idol Meb Keflezighi to win that race on that day was just amazing to watch. It was almost magical to see someone who's considered an older runner to win THE marathon of marathons as an American. I mean the last time an American won Boston was in the early 80's! Just an incredible race and day of healing! I basked in DVR glory watching the coverage!

   Now that the weather's broke my wife and I have begun taking the new puppy out for his first short runs. He's a running natural and thanks to some good training from my wife doesn't trip you or behave badly at all. Just the other day I watched him closely while we ran a short mile. Every now and then he would glance over at me, tongue hanging out with a big dog grin across his face. So hilarious! I think I've found a great new running partner. I'll make a distance dog out of him yet!

   With all that I've accomplished recently over the last two years, I'm finding that breaking out of my self created barriers is really working for me. So, with that in mind I did something that I NEVER do, I bought two different pairs of new running shoes. I've been religiously wearing the Brooks Beast going on 12 years now. It's a great shoe and has worked extremely well for me. So, I'm not trying to replace it with something else. But, I do need something more dedicated to trail running. So, I picked up a pair of Brooks Cascadias. I've only done a six mile run on the trails with them so far. But, what I've seen I like so far. I've been intrigued with the whole minimalist running craze since it's started. So, I also picked up a pair of Brooks Pure Connects. I've only done one short mile run in them so far. I didn't expect it to feel as different as it did. It really changed the whole feel of the run. I'm looking forward to future runs with them. But, am going to be cautious and not overdo it. More complete reviews of both of these new shoes coming in the future!

   If buying new shoes is crazy for me, then I did something completely insane earlier this week. As I've mentioned before, I was an idiot and waited too long to register for the Can 50K which is the ultra marathon that I'd like to break my cherry on. As a result, I'm number 10 on their dang waiting list. Not where I want to be. So, I'm now registered for the Mendon Trail 50K. This race's registration wasn't closed so I have a guaranteed entry. I'm most likely going to be able to get in for my original race. But, I just didn't want to gamble. If I do get into it I know what's going to happen. My personality won't let me run just one race and cancel the other. So, it looks like I'm going to be running a total of 100K total in two races that are a month apart. I never jump into it slow! I'm looking forward to the challenge!

   Had a nice chat the other night with my friend, Coach Jeff for his Running Podcast. He's just an amazing guy! Knowledgeable as hell about running and a huge inspiration. He reminded me of how great this run-net community is and how much fun it is to be part of it. Hence me getting of my tired butt and writing again! Thanks Coach!

   As I close in on a little over a month before I start the real ultra training I'm getting everything squared away. My 16 week training log is all set and I know what I have to do. Right now I'm just focusing on staying healthy, enjoying time with my family and friends and figuring out the best way to not kill myself while cross-training. Enjoying those last few cold beers, warm glasses of wine and somewhat unhealthy food for a while longer too. Then it's time to start a journey making history to go five miles farther than ever before.


   Until then I hope you get out and enjoy this wonderful spring weather. Ride that lightning my friends...     

No comments:

Post a Comment